2.24.2015

Get Messy || no.01

As a member of the new Get Messy Art Journal group, I have been having a great time being a part of such a creative and prolific community. It has taken me a while to find my rhythm after moving, the holidays and being sick for a month, but easing into it has been good for me. You can still register for the group here if you are so inclined.

The theme this season is Love and the prompts have been superb. I love having a jumping off point and something to ponder while I come up with an idea. Like most of my pages, I often start with words...either my own or a fitting quote, lyric or excerpt from a beloved book. I then create imagery that I feel supports the word. This is where I really get to challenge myself.

My first entry is a single page which I do create from time to time. I used my handmade journal for this one. The words read..."You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens." This is a quote by Rumi that I came across on Pinterest. I believe it to be true. Heartbreak is an intrinsic part of love and can help one open up to something deeper and infinitely sweeter.  I used small bits of paper in a similar color palette to create layers. I wanted the papers to scatter from a single point mimicking the look of something shattered or broken.





Interestingly enough, just a few days ago I was scrolling through my Instagram feed and came across this quote by bonnietsang. I though it fit the idea of what I had felt when making this page so well. I love when that happens.

"Turns out, the heart must be broken into a million pieces in order to reveal your inner light. In that light, you'll see your true self resting and at peace-she has no judgement she is accepting and she is full of love."

3 comments:

Kelly said...

well, this is perfection (imho)

Ana said...

This is beautiful. Inspiring me!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely pages! I adore your style. (And I used the same Rumi quote in my art journal a few weeks ago -- it was always resonated with me.) Hope you're having a lovely week!